Dear Campus Community,
We wanted to share some recent changes that will allow those of you who are using a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA) with Catholic University to change your contributions for this year.
Specifically, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has issued new rules (Notice 2020-29) regarding Section 125 cafeteria plans due to COVID-19 that allows you to make changes to your Healthcare FSA and DCFSA for this calendar year. You are now permitted to add, drop, increase or decrease your elections for these plans until October 2, 2020.
This communication provides information on these changes and how to modify your elections for the Healthcare FSA and DCFSA benefits.Plan Changes
- You are able to modify your early elections to address unanticipated changes in expenses due to COVID-19 to your Healthcare FSA and DCFSA. This temporary relief will be applied retroactively to January 1, 2020. Please note the following:
- For the Healthcare FSA plan, this is a one-time change. For the DCFSA, you are able to submit more than one change if you have a qualifying status event to support the requests.
- Maximum limit for 2020 contributions:
- Healthcare FSA: $2,750
- DCFSA: $2,500 if you and your spouse file separate tax returns; $5,000 if you are single or if you and your spouse file a joint return
- Changes that result in a decreased election amount will only be permitted up to the amounts already paid out.
- The claim period to apply unused amounts remaining in a 2019 Healthcare FSA or DCFSA has been extended to December 31, 2020.
- The CARES ACT reinstates coverage of over the counter (OTC) drugs and medicines as eligible for reimbursement from FSAs without a need for a prescription. Please visit optumbank.com to understand newly qualified medical expenses.
How to Change Elections
If you would like to make changes to your Healthcare FSA or DCFSA, please log in to the CatholicU Benefits site and follow the instructions below.
To log in, please enter your username and password. Your username is CUA + Your 7 digit employee ID number located on your Cardinal Card (for example, CUA1234567). Note: Please contact the Office of HR Partners team if you are unable to successfully reset your password (if applicable).
Click on “Change My Benefits” on the right hand side of the screen.
Click on the “Life Event” bar and select “Covid-19 Flexible Spending Account change”.
A pop up box will appear asking “What date are resulting changes effective”. Please enter the current date in which you are completing your online election changes. However, the election changes submitted will be processed retroactive to January 1, 2020.
On the following screens, please submit the requested information for your Healthcare FSA and/or DCFSA election changes.
Once your request has been submitted, a member of the Office of HR Partners team will follow-up to confirm your request has been processed and the election change amounts.
As a reminder, the last date to submit election changes is Friday, October 2, 2020.
→To learn more about the Healthcare FSA and DCFSA plans, please log into the CatholicU Benefits site and click on the 2020 Benefits Booklet under Benefit Document Links.
→For questions or assistance, please contact the Office of HR Partners team.
Office of Human Resources
Last Updated: 08/03/2020