The University strongly encourages employees to set financial goals and plan for retirement. The retirement plan established for eligible employees is administered by TIAA, the largest private pension plan in the United States.
Additional Information on TIAA is available at https://www.tiaa.org/public/tcm/catholic.Employees wishing to make a change to their retirement savings elections should forward a completed Authorization for Salary Reduction form to the Office of Human Resources. Changes may be requested at any time, and the effective date of your election will be the start of the pay period in which the form is received, unless a later effective date is requested.
The Catholic University of America Retirement Plan- Summary Plan Description
- Summary of Materials Modification posted on August 2012
- Summary of Materials Modification posted July 2011
Basic Plan (must meet eligibility requirements)
No Employee Contribution Catholic University contributes 5% of gross salary Employee Contributes 2.5% Catholic University contributes 7.5% of gross salary Employee Contributes 5% Catholic University contributes, 10%of gross salary
Eligibility RequirementEligibility requirements: completion of one year of service and attainment of age 26.
Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA)Most employees may elect to participate in the Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA portion of the plan). Contributions made to the GSRA are not matched by the University. There is no minimum age or years of service requirement to participate in GSRA. Additional amounts contributed to the GSRA portion of the plan may be subject to IRS limits.
TIAA Counseling Sessions
A representative from TIAA will be on the CUA campus to provide one-on-one counseling sessions for employees on:
- Tuesday, January 14, 2020 in 331 Pryzbyla Center
- Wednesday, February 12, 2020 in 331 Pryzbyla Center
- Thursday, March 5, 2020 in 331 Pryzbyla Center
- Thursday, April 2, 2020 in 331 Pryzbyla Center
- Monday, May 4, 2020 in 331 Pryzbyla Center
While the sessions are free, an appointment is required. To schedule an appointment, please call the Meeting Request Center number at tel: 1-800-732-8353 or use the TIAA-CREF online scheduling tool (directions below).
- Click on the link: TIAA online scheduling tool
- Click the Select button
- Choose "District of Columbia" from the State dropdown list and then click Select
- Choose "THE CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY OF AMER." from the Employer dropdown list and click Select
- Use the calendar and follow instructions on the screen to schedule an appointment
If you have any questions regarding the counseling session, or would like more information about your CUA retirement benefits, please contact the Office of Human Resources by email or by telephone at 202-319-5050.