In the case of a difference between information contained in the HR FAQ's web pages and the terms and conditions in policies or benefit plan documents, the policies and plan documents will prevail. 

If you have any questions please contact the Human Resources Office by email or by phone at (202) 319-5050. 

Health Insurance FAQs

Please click here to visit the Employee Insurance Page.
Please click here for Employee Insurance Forms.

When can I enroll in Catholic University's health insurance and dental plan?

  • Employees who wish to enroll in one of the health insurance plans must do so within the first thirty days of employment. Employees who do not enroll during the first thirty days of employment will not be able to enroll until the next open enrollment period unless extenuating circumstances exist.  

Flexible Spending Accounts FAQs

Please click here to visit the Flexible Spending Accounts page.
Please click here for Flexible Spending Accounts forms.

  • Can I change the amount of money I wish to contribute to my Flexible Spending Accounts during the year?

    The amount designated by the employee at the time of enrollment CANNOT be stopped or changed during the plan year, except in the case of a change in family status. A family change is considered to be marriage, divorce, death of an immediate family member whose expenses were being paid by the FSA, birth or adoption of a child, or loss of a spouse's employment.
  • If I don't use all of the money in my Flexible Spending Accounts, will it be reimbursed to me?

    No. If the amount deposited in the FSA exceeds actual covered expenses, the unused money is forfeited by the employee.

Retirement FAQs

Please click here to visit the Retirement Page.

  • Are there any special procedures I should follow when retiring?

    Just as any other employee separating from the University, retirees must schedule an Exit Interview before leaving Catholic University. The Exit Interview allows retirees an opportunity to discuss special retirement post-separation benefits with a benefits specialist. For more information on what an Exit Interview entails, refer to the questions on Exit Interviews in the section on "Separation" below. To schedule an Exit Interview, please contact the Office of Human Resources at tel: 202-319-5050.
  • As a retiree, may I still receive Tuition Assistance? What about my spouse and dependents?

    Retirees may continue to receive tuition assistance benefits for spouses and dependent children by birth or adoption with the limitation that the benefit will be extended only if the spouse and dependent children were eligible at the time the employee retired and only for undergraduate programs. Retirees and their spouses may audit courses without charge, subject to the permission of the instructor of each course.
  • May I still receive health insurance coverage under the University plan after I retire?

    Retirees may continue their health care coverage after retirement (contingent upon the terms of the University's contracts with its insurance carriers) at the full retiree group rate with no contribution from the University. Please email or call the Office of Human Resources at (202) 319-5050 for payment information.

Separation FAQs

  • What is adequate time for the submission of a resignation?

    Employees are requested to give written notice of resignation to their supervisor as far in advance as possible to minimize the vacancy time of the position. The notice should state the reason for separation and the last working day. At least two weeks' notice is expected from non-exempt employees. For exempt employees, a month's notice is appropriate.
  • Can you explain the Exit Interview?

    The Exit Interview is required of all Employees separating from Catholic University as a voluntary or involuntary termination. The Exit Interview is a sort of "check-out" process for departments whereby separating employees return keys, I.D. cards and library books, and pay any outstanding parking fines, library overdue fees, and other University loans. The Exit Interview also affords employees the opportunity to discuss post-separation benefits.
  • Who do I contact for an Exit Interview?

    Employees separating from Catholic University should schedule an Exit Interview with the Office of Human Resources as soon as they have notified their supervisor of their separation. Exit Interviews are ideally conducted on the last day of work. Please email or call the Office of Human Resources at (202) 319-5050 to schedule an exit interview. 


Please click here to visit the Retirement Page.

  • Am I required to participate in the TIAA retirement plan?

    Yes. All Catholic University employees age 26 or older who have worked for the University for at least one year are required to participate in the plan, but may do so without contributing any of their own money. You may opt to contribute 0.0, 2.5, or 5.0% of your own salary and Catholic University will contribute 5.0, 7.5, or 10.0% to your TIAAF plan respectively.
  • Is the TIAA contribution taxable?

    Under both the Basic and the TDA Plans, Federal and State taxes are not withheld from your contributions or earnings until you (or a beneficiary) start receiving them as benefits. An exception to this rule occurs if the combined employee and Catholic University TIAA contribution equals more than $50,000 per year. If this is the case, then the total amount contributed to TIAA less $50,000 IS taxable income.

Tuition Assistance FAQs

Please click here to visit the Tuition Assistance Benefits page.
Please click here for Tuition Assistance forms.
  • What is the deadline for Tuition Assistance Applications?

    Employees must submit applications for tuition assistance to the Office of Human Resources no later than the last day to add or drop courses as specified for each semester in the Academic Calendar published each year.  Employees are encouraged to submit tuition assistance applications as much in advance of each semester as possible, even if uncertain about the number of courses, number of semester hours or applicable School/Department. Revisions can be submitted once registration is completed. Tuition Assistance application forms are available here. 
  • How many semesters am I eligible for Tuition Assistance?

    There is no limit on the number of semesters for which Catholic University employees may be eligible for Tuition Assistance. However, employees are only eligible to take 4 classes per year, up to 2 classes per semester.
  • Are tuition benefits taxable?

    Tuition Assistance for undergraduate education is NOT taxable. However, Tuition Assistance for graduate education for employees, spouses, and dependent children IS subject to Federal and State income tax and FICA. Tuition Assistance benefits for graduate courses will be treated as taxable income as required by Federal law.
  • Are overseas study programs covered by Tuition Assistance?

    Yes, overseas study programs sponsored or approved by Catholic University will be covered by Tuition assistance. However, the Catholic University tuition is the only part of the cost of the overseas study program that is included in the tuition assistance benefit. Any other fees as well as the cost of room and board are the responsibility of the student. The semesters spent in an overseas study program will count toward the nine semester maximum for undergraduate tuition assistance benefits.
  • If I want to take a Catholic University Course that is NOT required by a specific degree program, will tuition assistance cover it?

    Yes. Employees are welcome and encouraged to take classes for personal enjoyment/enrichment, as well as courses taken in pursuit of a degree. Tuition Assistance covers those classes up to the number of allowable courses each semester and year. For classes taken by spouses or dependent children to be covered by Tuition Assistance, the courses must be as part of an undergraduate degree program.
  • If I want to take a class at Consortium School, will Tuition Assistance cover it?

    Employees, their spouses and their dependent children will be eligible for Tuition Assistance for courses at other member institutions of the Consortium when the courses are certified by the cognizant dean or department chair as required for a degree program and not available at Catholic University.